What to do about these damn goals. You would think this would be easy but as I learned last year some surprising things happen over the course of a year and that can make planning difficult. Who knows by June I may have given up this distance racing thing altogether and switched to endurance Yoga (seriously not a chance) or Jazzercise. Not that theres anything wrong with that.
1. STAY HEALTHY - I did okay in this area last year but still lost weeks after 100 milers. I have begun be more careful and take extra down time when needed cause I am getting older and more brittle by the moment.
2. Specific Cross training - Back to the gym, the place I loath, for easy weights and ab / core work. Maybe some knitting as well. I have a number of areas of "interest" that need strengthening most importantly my repeatedly injured upper ankles.
3. Continue to build that base - Looking to get 5000k in this year barring injury.
4. Take a shot at my BQ - I got a spring marathon targeted for this. Not sure if I will get there or not but sure going to try. My biggest problem is running a marathon full out tends to screw with my ultra training.
5. Qualify for UTMB - Hope to get my race points in so that I can apply for Mont-Blanc in 2013. Ooopps, guess I should have mentioned that to the wife before posting it here.
6. Have fun- The biggest goal of all is to just train as hard as possible and run the best that I can while still having fun. Yes that horrible grimace on my face during races means I am having fun or I want to quit. Its one or the other.
Racing plan for next year coming up!