Saturday, January 10, 2015

Running Plans in 2015



Well 2014 just flew by, so much pain, misery and fun that its going to take a lot longer blog entry than this to get it all wrapped up. I will save that for another upcoming post and talk about what 2015 has in store as far as my own running stuff.

First and foremost on the coaching front I have a really good group of runners doing mostly long distance programs and training with me. Who knew there were so many people that are such gluttons for punishment and also willing to pay for it. In all seriousness though a big thanks to those that have chosen me to entrust their training to. It should be a lot of fun. You can check out what we are doing on the website.

Secondly I am in the process of trying to organize a couple of races for the coming year. I hope to have a lot more about that in the next few months so stayed tuned.

Last but not least my own racing schedule is quickly coming into focus. Originally the plan was that I was going to run both the winter and summer Beast of Burden 100s and if the lottery gods were kind run the Western States 100 in between. Well I got into Western so that should have been that until I woke up the next day with a bad case of the crazies.

I had always planned to attempt at some point to run the Grand Slam of Ultrarunning. A huge and difficult goal for anyone little lone a back of the pack 100 guy like me. When I got into Western after 5 years of trying I realized that this most likely will be the only chance I get to attempt this. If I manage to get into WS again down the road I will be older (read slower) so it's kind of like now or never. I am not sure what will happen but I know it will be a crazy adventure and hell what else can you ask for out of life.

For those that don't know the Grand Slam consists of 4 different 100 mile races run over the course of a single summer. Each one is very tough on its own with every race having its own unique challenges so here they are.

Western States June 27 - 28th



Western States Elevation Chart

Western States, busted quads here I come

Vermont 100  July 18th - 19th



Vermont 100 elevation chart

Vermonts heat and humidity makes it tough


Leadville elevation chart

Leadville, its all about the altitude 

Wasatch Front 100


Wasatch Front elevation chart

25,763 feet of climbing, yikes! 


I am also running Beast of Burden 100 winter addition on January 24th. I hope to run the full 100 however with the Slam now my main goal any potential serious problems will cause me to not take any chances. I really need to make sure I enter my WS training healthy.

Also expect to run a pile of trail races and maybe a couple of marathons as training runs starting in April. I know I expect to be running Around the Bay 30k, Hynerview Challenge 50k and PYP (50k or 25k). In early May it will be back to Bear Mountain to pace my friend Chris H to his first 50 Mile finish then  Seaton (25k or 50k) and Sulphur Springs 50k. Good possibility that I may throw in Buffalo and Waterloo Marathons to give me some big back to back long run days.

Kim will joining me in Colorado for a week leading up to Leadville so she will be running the Pikes Peak Ascent and then it looks like she will do Oil Creek (if she can get in). I may join her to pace during those races.

HOLY CRAP thats kind of busy but you know what they say keep moving or die. Want to crew or pace and watch me suffer live and in person? Let me know!

5 comments:

  1. Waiting with baited breath on those races you are organizing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very exciting year planned for you both! Looking forward to following along (and also hearing about those races). Happy running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris..I enjoy reading your blog, very inspiring. I am sure we will meet up soon and have a good chat about running. You have many goals for 2015, Happy Trails to you and Kim

    "SMILEAGE WITH MILEAGE"

    Running Pal Al

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I commend you on a most excellent blog sir. You can't be a septic,because the reports have a considerable amount of humour. Spare a thought for us though , a stinking hot day here in the UK can touch on close to 20 degrees,and they make us run in altitudes in excess of 400ft. Best of luck for 2015 , LEW .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Chris! Have fun at BoB next week (we'll miss you!) and I hope the Slam plan goes smoothly.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails