Thursday, December 10, 2009

Winters here ... Eggnog Jog coming up ...Last weeks training


Winter
Ahhhh ... winter is finally here. The snow, the wind, the freezing rain, you got to love it. I shouldn't really complain though, I mean I do live in Canada and this time last year we had been living under a snow bank for almost a month.

Last nights run along the Lakeshore was into a nice 50km headwind... sweet. Talk about hill training without any actual hills, so much for a nice take it easy kind of run.


EggNog Jog
This Sunday I will be running the Eggnog Jog. It's a 10.8km race, kind of an odd distance but other people that I run with have told me that its a great race. Oh ya and its suppose to be hilly with one extra special humongous hill to help kick the stuffing out of you. I will be treating this race as a very fast hard tempo workout and not worrying so much about finishing time. I mean I will be getting a PB anyway given the odd distance. No race shirt for this one but I do get a really sweet Beach Towel, just what I need in the middle of the winter ..HA.

Training
Last weeks training went pretty well with only a small bump in the road. I have been having a bit of an achilles problem but its minor at this point so just icing and keeping an eye on it. That will teach me for actually doing a proper recovery after Hamilton. One of those strange quirky things as I usually don't do a proper recovery (ask anyone) but vowed that this time I would. That will teach me!

At this point my runs are mostly slow and easy as I start to rebuild my base mileage. My program seems harder to follow then normal as I really want to run faster and longer but I have vowed stick with it and behave myself... mostly anyway ... as its suppose to actually be more beneficial in the long run. Last week I put in 51.5 miles with the expectation of being back up to around 65 miles by early January.

14 comments:

  1. a beach towel for a winter race in Canada... lol! Have a great race, stay safe out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take care of that achilles and stay warm. Drink some eggnog after the eggnog jog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun race. I'm also in that base building mode (well, I will be after Saturday's 10k to end the racing year). Like you mentioned, it'll be hard to hold the pace down and be patient. Neither are strong points for me. Good luck with your training & hope your achilles recovers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the Achilies will remain nonproblematic. Good luck with the race

    ReplyDelete
  5. See you at the 'Nog-if you haven't done it before it will be a PB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I took a photo of the hill last year and put it on my blog. It was really a big one so I'm hoping the footing isn't an issue this year...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to run a EGGNOG jog! How fun. I love the picture you included today, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My post-race report last year including photo of the hill!

    http://markymarkisonthemark.blogspot.com/2008/12/race-laps-today.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can totally get behind any race that endorses Egg Nog - do they provide the booze in the nog as well?

    I appreciate that you read my blog, and I will be posting, just a bit more sporadic!

    And yay to Canada! Unbeknownst to my readers, I'm part Canadian ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a fun race! Hopefully you get a boozy 'nog to warm up with at the end. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. New to the blog. Have a great race. It seems like a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey is 51 miles a week part of some recovery program I don't know about, haha.

    You made me really laugh about the hill training without hills in that 50K wind. It was exactly like that!!!

    Hope you enjoyed the Egg Nog Jog in the rain ... it seems that beach towel might've come in handy after all (sorry, couldn't resist, hee, hee.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with that hill!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE the beach towel thing!
    Im in BC, cougars are my bain lately, ccheck it out!

    http://runningfool-ootaynee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails