Monday, March 21, 2011

Training Update, First 100 mile week, Pikes Peak




Just a bit of a training update.

November, December and January were really good months as far as training went. My legs finally recovered from going overboard during Ultra season last year. Some would argue that ANY Ultra racing is going overboard while others will claim you cant go overboard at all. All I know is my legs were slow and tired by mid october. Well they seem to be back and I got a solid 1400 kms in during those 3 months of mainly base training (read easy running). That was capped off with 2 marathons in late January.

February was a much lighter volume month which can be best described as happening sort of accidentally on purpose. There was a week off during a planned vacation and then another week and a half of shorter runs due to a never ending head cold. Instead of getting my running shorts all in a knot over it I did something oddly unChris like. I just went with it. No fretting about missed runs, my growing belly or loss of cardio. Nope I just did what I could do. Still not sure how that happened tho but I have now convinced myself that the rest will actually be a good thing as my training for the Mohican 100 ramps up.

The start of March marked 16 weeks until the Mohican so it was time to start some real training which means getting that mileage up and making sure to get 3 quality runs in a week. I have a solid base but have lost a little speed with my VO2 max not being where it was at this time last year. That means lots of Tempo and Hills over the next few months and who doesnt like that.

Crap I am rambling again.

Mileage buildup
Okay so 3 weeks into my training things are looking good. My speed is coming back a little due to Coach Rogers somewhat brutally helpful Tempo workouts sometimes in really crappy weather and some awesome hill sprint repeats. I have also built my mileage up to the level that I hope to keep it at for this training cycle. Last week I ran my first 100 mile week (160km for all you fellow Canucks). I felt good but tired, no injuries but holy crap is that a lot of running. So many 2 a days. This week is recovery week which I am really going to enjoy.

Pikes Peak
I registered and my qualifications were confirmed for the Pikes Peak Marathon. I cant remember the last time I was so excited about a race. I know for some of you out west mountain running is not such a big deal but here in Toronto where the only mountains I see are on postcards its huge. With no mountain running experience I was a little leery of signing up for a 100 like Leadville so I figure a nice short marathon would be a great place to feel things out.... HA.

I also convinced (well maybe more like forced but in a nice way) Kim to sign up for the Ascent. She is nervous about it but I told her that its only 13 miles of climbing up the side of a mountain and 8000 feet of elevation change .... I mean seriously how hard could it be. Damn that actually does sound hard. Oppps

45 comments:

  1. All I can say is, you're lucky she loves you. lol.

    Your mileage is so far out of my league. It's really cool to read about. Hopefully your race reports will sound sufficiently brutal as to keep me from wanting to run that far. :) Good luck as your season ramps up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pikes Peak sounds tough! I agree with Kate...your mileage is insane! I am just getting into "distance running" I did my first marathon last fall. I have 2 marathons and 2 triathlons on my schedule for this year....kinda got hooked. Please feel free to follow along:

    http://nikkiisamomonamission.blogspot.com/

    I am hosting my first giveaway, the bag is super cool! Might come in handy on those big races of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my coworkers did Pikes Peak last year and he loved it. Hard core. I'm struggling to get back in the groove but finally put a 5K (ooh!) on the calendar for mid April. Hopefully I'll survive :) But for now it's just good to be running again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with Pikes Peak. I wanted to do it last year but because of a scheduling conflict ended up running the Leadville Trail Marathon instead as my Colorado race of the year. That one is another really tough one that will make you think twice about signing up for the Leadville 100.

    100 miles a week is bad ass. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you're running Pikes Peak??? That's on my list of someday maybe to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I'd file that under hard! And a 100-mile week? Awesome.

    Mohican brings back memories for me...grew up in Ohio and we always went canoeing there the day after prom (kind of bizarre, huh?). You've got a big year ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeow-za! Good luck at Pike's Peak. Just the thought gives me the shivers. Maybe when I move out of Louisiana (read: FLAT) I'll *consider* something that ambitious. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just looking at your weekly mileage graph - is H hump day?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pikes Peak marathon sounds intense! Sounds more like a hike than a run to me, haha I did a 22 mile hike in Yosemite with 6500 feet elevation change, and there's no way I could have run much at all of it other than some of the downhill. And doing 8000 feet of climbing is a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck at Pikes Peak. It is a unique race.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you plan to buy her lots of flowers for that fine piece of chicanery you pulled. LOL!! I'll take some nice photos of that beast and put them on the blog so you can have a reminder of the work cut out for you. (BTW, it's the down I would be concerned about!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on Pikes Peak - how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the comment on my blog, always nice to hear from someone new. Wow, you're really clocking up some miles there, putting my running to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I honestly don't know if I ever will run a 100 mile week never mind a 100 mile trail race. I need more time in a day and less respsonsibility......is that posssible? I have yet to atempt a 50 miler, so I can't really call my self a long distance runner...yet. Great training Chris and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck!!! That's awesome!! You are doing some great miles!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! 100 miles in a week?! I think the most I've done is 40! Impressive (and crazy.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! You never cease to amaze me! It's so exciting to hear what you're doing and see what the human body can do. Pikes Peak sounds awesome! It'll just be a short one for you! And I'm sure it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah, thanks a lot! Actually, I'm scared but kind of excited at the same time...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your mileage is incredible! Maybe I must still run a the marathon this Sunday instead of downgrading to the half after my bad 50k experience... You are doing great! Pikes Peak is on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 100 mile week...geesh Chris now you've motivated me to get my ass in gear. Pikes Peak lucky you :) it's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, you are a rockstar! One of my customer's did Pike's Peak and he said it was KILLER, but loved it! I hope to one day do a 100 mile week :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice week! Triple digits are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Chris! Thanks for the comment on my blog. Hopefully you can't catch viruses from self-pitying prose. I'm enjoying your blog a lot--in answer to your questions about portion sizes (that was quite the plate of nachos!) in the U.S. the answer, generally, is YES! Gross!

    The Pikes Peak Ascent (not the marathon) is what I want to do after this two years of trying to qualify for Boston is over. I think if I tried to go down again after that going up I'd fall and break my head open. But more power to you and Kim!! And if you ever do Leadville and need a pacer for a portion it, I volunteer. I don't have Leadville on my bucket list, but I understand the allure and would love to at least be pit crew for someone someday.

    Good luck with everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't wrap my mind around that kinda mileage. It's actually the kind I dream about. I think my biggest week has been 35 and that was high point in marathon training. Maybe I'm just a pansy. :)

    Well done. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL thanks for the comment on my blog! :) You're too nice.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I'm another who grew up in Ohio and spent time at Mohican canoeing. I plan my first marathon the end of next year, and there are ultras in my future. Maybe Mohican will be my first...

    ReplyDelete
  27. God, I'd sooooo love to run Pikes Peak!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The Mohican sounds like a great race.
    I just did about 3/4 of Barr trail/Pikes Peak last weekend. So excited for you both, it's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  29. 100 mile weak. That is very, very interesting. I've been so driven over elevation lately that I haven't really thought about weekly mileage. I'm going for it. How on earth I'm going to fit in 3x my better weeks, I'm not sure yet! Good luck at Pikes Peak : )

    ReplyDelete
  30. just stopping by to say hello! thnx for all the kind words and suypport on my blog.

    u r kinda hard core over here. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW! 100 miles! Thanks for commenting on my blog! I am an new follower of yours! Can't wait to read more post! I feel motivated after reading yours!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for your kind comments on my blog! It sounds as though you have some tough races coming up - great running. Good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for stopping by Chris! Glad that I found your blog. Congrats on 100 mile week- pretty darn amazing. Ran my first ultra last Oct and i loved it...looking forward to watching your journey to Pikes Peak!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You sound like me, dragging my spouse into whatever crazy event I find to do. I need to learn how not to freak out over a down week or a loss of miles due to life's unplanned happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wooo whoo!! Pikes Peak!!! Awesomeness!!!!

    Thanks for stopping by my bloggity!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for the comment! I'm your newest stalker (follower) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ha, and I thought that I was The Manly Runner. You are the studliest blogging runner out there.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Pikes Peak? So awesome - good luck with training!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll definitely buy the pics and will look at them every time I feel like quitting. You should see the others, real gems.

    I can't believe you're doing Pikes Peak. Wow. I'm aiming to do my first ultra next year so will be sure to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow -what a great couple of months, Chris. How did you manage to get through all of this snow!? Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I had a friend who did Pike's Peak - it's a tough one for sure! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Congrats on you training and your Pike's Peak entry! I can see why you are excited. I bet it's going to be amazing! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  43. That Ascent does sound brutal! Actually, so does a 100 mile week, not to mention a 100 mile race (although not your first, I know). Keep it up! Slow and steady.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hey Chris! Thanks for stopping by my blog--a 100 mile week?!?! Wow.

    Looking forward to following you training for Pike's Pike--that ascent look brutal!

    ReplyDelete
  45. PIKES PEAK....you seriously are my hero!!! 100 mile week....wow!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails